Private (Class 4)/Junior
1. The Royal Navy introduced a Warrant Officer Class 2 on 1 April 2004.
2. Royal Marine officer ranks were aligned with those of the Army on 1 July 1999.
3. The rates of Able Rating and Ordinary Seaman were merged on 1 April 1999, as were the corresponding ranks of Marine
1st class and Marine 2nd class. The ranks of Junior Rating and Junior Marine were also abolished.
4. Rank introduced in 2008.
5. Rank introduced in 2010 in the RAF.
Civilian equivalents to military ranks
Ministry of Defence civilian grade equivalent
Permanent Under Secretary/ 2nd Permanent Under Secretary
1. Senior Civil Service.
2. Formerly Grade 2, Deputy Under Secretary.
3. Formerly Grade 3, Assistant Under Secretary.
4. Formerly Grades 4 and 5, Executive Director and Assistant Secretary.
5. Formerly Grade 6, Senior Principal Officer and equivalents.
6. Formerly Grade 7, Principal Officer and equivalents.
7. Formerly Senior Executive Officer and equivalents.
8. Formerly Higher Executive Officer and equivalents.